Year 4 Medical Students
Teaching Materials for Medical Students
- Introduction to EBM 2016 (Access)
- Introduction to EBM and Question formulation (Access)
- How to critically appraise a systematic review (Access) Link to paper (PubMed) (Lancet) (Lancet IPD)
- Critical appraisal of RCTs (PowerPoint) Link to paper (NEJM)
- Rapid RCT appraisal checklist (PDF)
Clinical Medical Student Presentations
Students work in pairs and present a focused clinical question they have developed from their exposure to practice, hospital wards or GP.
They are asked to demonstrate how they searched for the best evidence, how they critically appraise the evidence and then, where appropriate, applies the evidence to their clinical scenario.
Chapter 39: Evidence Based Medicine; C. Heneghan, P. Glasziou.
Chapter 30: Evidence-Based Medicine; C. Heneghan, P. Glasziou.
EBM Volume 10: Finding the Gold in Medline.
EBM Notebook: Measurement Scales and their Summary Statistics.
EBM Thread 2010: How to Find the Evidence; E. Bastin, O. Coxall, T. Petrinic.
EBM Volume 10: Statistical approaches to uncertainty: p values and confidence intervals unpacked; H. Doll, S. Carney.