The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine develops, promotes and disseminates better evidence for healthcare.
Honorary Consultant Physician & Clinical Pharmacologist
4. From phonemes to roots If words can be traced back to roots, as I discussed in Part 3, so
Pharmacokinetics is about how drugs move around the body, being absorbed, distributed to their sites of action, and being eliminated.
3. From roots to words Earlier this year I went to Sam Wanamaker’s Globe Theatre in Southwark for a meeting of
2. The roots of language Which words came first? In his Historiai, Book II, Herodotus tells how an Egyptian king, Psamtik
1. Blogs and Logs This is the first entry in a CEBM blog about medical philology. It seems natural then
1. Introduction The Law of Mass Action describes how the velocity of a chemical reaction is related to the molecular
1. Understanding mechanisms Mechanisms and their relevance to clinical practice can only be properly interpreted if their scientific underpinnings are
The memoirs of great scientists often afford inspirational reading. If I were to choose just one example to recommend, it
The Russian millionaire Alexander Perepilichny, who died suddenly outside his UK home in November 2012, is reported to have had
All clinical specialties need to grow and develop. I suggest a paradigm to help focus on important ways of doing
In 2014, according to a recent press release, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) recommended 82 medicines for human use. Of
Are you in health care? Then you should read “Being Mortal”. Do you take care of people with terminal illnesses?
It’s 1947. The Labour Government is planning a new National Health Service, and Nye Bevan announces that each hospital in
To London, to celebrate 50 years of the Yellow Card scheme . The scheme, which was started by the erstwhile Committee