Finding the Evidence
Finding the evidence is the second step in the five steps of evidence-based practice.
It is important when searching for evidence that search terms are referred back to your original PICO question. The process of finding evidence therefore follow three key steps:
- Identify terms to fit your PICO question
- Look for secondary sources
- Search for primary sources
See our Searching Exercise page for a guide on how to complete this process.
1. Identify terms to fit your PICO question
Download ‘Asking Clinical Questions’ – guide to constructing PICO questions
2. Look for secondary sources
3. Search for Primary Sources
Use methodological filters to target the right type of study. For instance, PubMED filters for: