Teaching Evidence-Based Medicine
16 – 20 September 2019
Teaching EBM is designed for all health care professionals, who have some knowledge of critical appraisal and experience in practicing evidence-based health care, and want to develop their teaching.
- Students learn in small groups and are facilitated to practice and develop their skills in teaching ebp.
- Participants learn educational strategies to develop curriculum and design evaluation.
You should consider attending if you:
- Are committed to patient-centred learning
- Believe in the process of small-group learning
- Take an active role in small group learning
TEBM offers teaching by world-renowned experts in evidence-based health care at the University of Oxford. A Certificate of Completion is issued on the last day of the course. If this course is being taken as part of an award-bearing programme of study, (MSc in EBHC) you are given a fifth day with module coordinators who will take you through the academic assignment you are required to submit as part of the overall programme
By the end of this module you will have learned how to:
- Formulate clear answerable questions and teach on this subject
- Understand search strategies and be familiar with different resources
- Teach an aspect of critical appraisal effectively and with confidence
- Understand the range of study designs and appraisals techniques required to teach evidence-based health care
- Teach an aspect of biostatistics in health care
- Understand the components of an effective curriculum for evidence-based practice
There will be two main themes running throughout the workshop:
- Teaching will be addressed through the exploration of different educational models for teaching evidence-based practice and identification and discussion of issues of pedagogy, curriculum design development and maintenance. The aim will be to promote the teaching of evidence-based health care at your home institution
- Personal Development will be addressed by offering guidance and help in extending and advancing participants’ existing critical appraisal and teaching skills.
Most of the Workshop will be conducted in small groups in which participants will develop and test their own EBM packages. Plenary sessions will present and discuss general issues in planning, executing, and evaluating EBM, and will demonstrate large-group strategies for teaching EBM. Searching and study time will be provided each day, and informal social events will encourage free discussion and the establishment of ongoing links.
Materials and Preparation:
Participants will receive EBM packages in diagnosis, prognosis, therapy/prevention, quality of care, systematic reviews, and economic analysis appropriate to their fields of health care, plus background readings, a core EBM textbook and software tools to help practice and teach EBM. You will benefit most from the Workshop if you bring your own EBM packages for testing in simulated teaching situations.
Workshop facilitators have been practicing and teaching EBM at sites across the UK, Europe and North America and Australasia. The Workshop will be chaired by Dr David Nunan.
TEBM: Presentations & Photographs